A second musculoskeletal ageing centre opens sited in Liverpool together with Universities in Newcastle and Sheffield taking part in the research.
Between them they will focus on:
- the decline in bone density and how it is related to ageing and the possibility of it also being linked to other conditioons as well.
- why is there loss of muscle mass
- the effects of obesity and inactivity on ageing
- suitable exercises to ensure joints, muscles and bones remain functional and the relationship between exercise tolerance of elite athletes versus the older body
- whether the energy-generating mitochrondria become defective during ageing and conditions such as CFS
Their aim is to make a difference to people's everyday lives.